Miracles Happen!


Miracles Happen!, originally uploaded by allanismsf.

When I was 21 and first started "officially" come out of the closet, a close friend at the time told me about this amazing series of books that chronicled life in San Francisco. At the time the title escaped me soon after, and always tried to remember so I could find this chronicle.
It wasn't until a few years later that another friend finally let me borrow the first book to read.
It wasTales of the City!
This book he let me borrow was a first edition and showed Mary Ann Singleton holding her hand to her head and looking up to the Golden Gate Bridge.
I was smitten.
I devoured it within a week and was hesitant to return it to it's rightful owner.
Alas I did.
I have always held this first edition printing in a special place in my heart and have continually looked for it out there, perusing used book stores, looking for a wisp of Anna Madrigal browsing the aisles…

Years after that I moved to SF to start my own adventures. Although they were not as colorful as Mary Ann's, they were magical nonetheless…

I still continued to look through used book stores for this one piece of magic that I relate to my youthful coming out experiences.

Finally, after nearly 20 years, I FOUND IT!!!!

I just happened to go into one of my usual used book haunts today and there it was---smiling at me like The Cheshire Cat! It was nestled between Maybe the Moon and Baby Cakes.

The cover and pages are PRISTINE!

I quickly snatched it up and held it to my chest and sighed.

Miracles happen!

Comments

Popular Posts